Thursday, August 14, 2008

More Canada Musings

Well, now I've started I can't finish ... thinking about Canada and the wonderful time we had there I thought I'd share some more of my writings inspired as much by the anticipation of the journey as the place itself.

We landed in Edmonton, Alberta and stayed a couple of nights at an out of the way place called Hidden Springs, a Christian retreat run by a couple called Neil & Barbara White. Just arranging our stay there from Wales was an adventure but also a joy as, through e-mail, we gained a sense of each other's testimony and the miracle of fellowship in the Holy Spirit despite never having met.

On our way there I had already started to write something about my longing to see the Rockies, (which we did towards the end of our 3 week stay) after travelling in completely the opposite direction towards the prairie lands of Saskatchewan.

I finished the Rocky Mountain Hymn at Hidden Springs after a very distant glimpse of the Rockies. It compares the unobtainable (for me) heights of those spectacular mountains with the glory of God which he has made accessible to me!

ROCKY MOUNTAIN HYMN:














I dream of lofty mountains and crystal clear blue skies;

of lakes that hold the heavens where mighty eagles fly.

And there beyond the tree line high peaks are capped with snow;

their rushing, living waters to pine-filled valleys flow.


I stand in awe before you beneath bright stars at night.

I wonder at your glory, your power and your might.

My heart beats hard and faster as from this world I soar

to see your Kingdom's glory, a never-ending shore.


Before you I am nothing: beyond my furthest view

I have no hope of climbing the steepest slopes to you.

But from your throne you saw me, stepped down and took my place.

You sacrificed your glory and saved me by pure grace.


You love me and you free me to taste your sweetest wine,

to speak out for your Kingdom and in the darkness shine.

My hands are raised in worship to you my soul must sing:

"Majestic King-Creator, High Lord of everything!"


It can be sung as a hymn and has a 76.76.D metre (such as Aurelia, although I prefer it to a tune called Ewing).


So, Hidden Springs: a real haven and a perfect place to unwind and unload as we took our first tentative steps in a new country. 2 nights to prepare for the long journey from Edmonton to Saskatoon - but it was so much more with late evening chats with Neil and the ever present and hopeful Meg waiting for us to play ball.
I may well return to what we learned and enjoyed about Hidden Springs in future posts - hey, that's what a blog is for isn't it?
For now I'll just leave my tribute to the haven we found at the beginning and end of our Canadian trip ...


See link for the Hidden Springs website.


HIDDEN SPRINGS














Time to leave life's highway, and stop the rush to gain.

Forget the overtaking, and join the slower lane.


Time to stop and ponder what life really means,

time to see new visions and dream some different dreams.


Time to hear creation sing its ceaseless song;

time to ask the question, "Where do we belong?"


Time to be reminded of most important things;

time for soul-refreshing right here at 'Hidden Springs'!


Time to spend reflecting on all we've seen and done.

Time to pray a blessing on what God has begun.


Time to leave the shelter of this safe and happy place.

Time to step on homeward in His enduring grace.


Time and space a plenty in God's scheme of things -

and so we carry with us the hope of 'Hidden Springs' ...

© Graham Oakes: 2007



Bye for now, don't be afraid to feedback ...

No comments: